Before the war
On the North side of Lubbock Road, Lammas was the former home of Sir John Lubbock, the MP who gave us Bank Holidays and after whom the road is named.
He lived here from 1861-5. Lammas is the name of the North Norfolk village from where the Lubbock family had their roots.
For many years the Johnston family, coffee merchants, were in residence but from 19011 Lammas took on an institutional role. St Hugh’s Preparatory School for boys took over but moved away to Malvern in September 1915 making room for the Red Cross to take over.
Lammas operated alongside Abbey Lodge from September 1915 until March 1919 creating a further 50 beds for Kent 60 (Chislehurst) VAD.
After the First World War
The old Victorian detached house played a significant role in the Second World War when it became home to young Jewish refugees rescued from Prague by the Barbican Mission for the Jews. A bench at the end of Lubbock Road commemorates this episode. The Mission continued to provide a home for children into the late 1950s.
The site today
The house was demolished in 1960 and four houses now occupy the whole site.