Before the war
The history of this house is uncertain. The plot next door to Lammas is named on an 1862 map of the road and the first occupant seems to be W.R Winch, a tea merchant and a member of the Inaugural Committee of Christ Church. A black and white drawing of a house named Hillside on a northern slope away from a road is available from The Builder as a home for the gentry designed by Joseph Moye but we cannot with absolute certainty attribute it to Lubbock Road. In a 1937 aerial photograph the plot demarks a recently demolished property.
Bizarrely Hillside was the first home of Col Silver in 1881, he who subsequently moved across the road to Abbey Lodge! Mr Adcock is listed as the owner in 1918. Adcock was the land agent of Nathaniel Strode, the original developer of the Camden Park Estate, who went on to marry Strode’s widow.
As a VAD hospital
Hillisde was only occupied as a hospital providing 40 beds from 1918 until the end of the life of the hospitals in 1919.
The site today
The name Hillside remains in Lubbock Road as a detached home at 103.