At Midnight on 13th October 1914 orders were received to mobilise the Chislehurst Voluntary Aided Detachments. Kent 60 was formed by Dr Allen, a local resident. It was initially led by Miss Alston in May 1912 but she resigned in September 1913 when Miss Beatrix Batten took over. In the Yolland Shield Competition the detachment gained over 90% and was awarded a prize stretcher.
Kent 60 set up a hospital in Lubbock Road, Chislehurst, utilising 6 separate buildings throughout the war.