The St Mary Cray, Orpington and District Times reported about Belgian refugees in Orpington in their October 9th 1914 edition.
14 Belgian refugees were housed at ‘Oakhurst’, Crofton Lane, Orpington. The newspaper reported that local people had been generous in their support of the refugees, providing clothes, stores and provisions.
The newspaper article also listed the names of the members of the refugee committee.
The committee members in October 1914 were:
- Mrs Battiscombe of St Mary Cray
- Mrs Davis of Darrick Wood, Crofton
- Mrs Glanfield of Clairville, Crofton
- Mrs Harrild of Shirlies, Orpington
- Mrs Lamarque of Kokine, Orpington
- Mrs Mason of Homecroft, Crofton
- Mrs Morris of ‘Woodlands’, Crofton and
- Mrs Strauss of Crofton Hall, Crofton.
More can be learnt about these individuals by clicking on their names.